New Kent County was established in 1654 from York County and was organized and settled by William Claiborne. The county’s name originated because several prominent inhabitants, including William Claiborne, recently had been forced from their settlement at Kent Island, Maryland by Lord Baltimore upon the formation of Maryland. Claiborne had named the island for his birthplace in Kent, England. New Kent County is the birthplace of two U. S. Presidents’ wives – Martha Washington and Letitia Christian Tyler. The church where George and Martha Washington are believed to have been wed, St. Peters, still holds services today. The Chickahominy Native Americans frequented this area as well as nearby Charles City County and two tribes are still well-established in this area.
In November 1719, a portion of New Kent County known then as St. Paul’s Parish was formed into a separate county, now Hanover County.
In 2006, the U.S. Census Bureau rated New Kent County among the top 100 fastest-growing counties in America.
New Kent County stretches along Interstate 64 and really has a few different sections for locations and housing. You have New Kent on the Richmond side of the County which includes Sandston, Bottoms Bridge, Patriot’s Landing, Brickshire and Royal New Kent. The second section of New Kent is across the highway on the Northern Side, which borders James City County and Hanover County not far from the Mattaponi River. This area is more rural and enables landowners to have some space and more property. The third section is the Williamsburg Side of New Kent to include Lanexa Virginia. Lanexa is one of the more popular neighborhoods called The Colonies which rest along the winding Chickahominy River. Great for boating and fishing. Lanexa is popular for people that work in Richmond and Williamsburg, but want to be once removed from town.
For more information about New Kent County and homes in the area, visit our link above or call the office at 804-288-2100.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.